Thursday, January 31st, 2019 by Sabrina Henry
Protect the outside of your house before the next winter storm:
- Unclog gutters - Clean your gutters so that water doesn't back up and freeze. Consider a gutter guard to protect your gutters and your home from further water damage.
- Downspouts - Check the downspouts to ensure water is diverted away from the house. Highly functioning rainwater system can prevent water from entering the basement and causing more damage to the home.
- Check your roof - High accumulation of snow can cause the roof to collapse especially with flat roofs and additions. If heavy amounts of snow are building up on your roof you can remove packed snow from the ground level with a roof rake.
- Avoid ice dams - Look out for icicles forming on your roof. This is a sign that ice damns are forming on your roof which can cause water damage to the ceilings and walls.
- Trim tree branches - Inspect any low hanging tree branches in close range to the house or power lines. Branches can become brittle and eventually snap, causing a power outage.
- Disconnect garden hoses - Make sure to remove the garden hose from the outdoor water value. In the extreme cold temperatures, the water can enter the pipe and freeze. Eventually, the water can crack in the pipes resulting in burst pipes.
Gutter Guard Protection
Spend less time worrying about water damage to your home with Gutter Helmet, America's #1 choice for gutter guard protection. Along with Helmet Heat a self-regulating heating cable to protect the roof from ice and snow build up. Never clean your gutters again and elimidate ice dam concerns with the complete package. To learn more give us a call today on 1-203-528-4727 or fill out a form HERE!